Thursday, November 1, 2012

One Direction: Logos


            All musicians love music. I’m a musician. So it is deduced that I love music. Here’s another one: All girls like One Direction. I’m a girl. Ergo, I like One Direction. What? Yes, I am indeed a girl. But just because the majority of the female population is illogically obsessed with the cluster of genetically-gifted males who might acquire some sort of vocal chords, that does not necessarily mean I myself am part of that mindless mass. For those of you who are unaware as to who One Direction is exactly, it’s rather best that you do not know. Basically, the examples I gave in the beginning are a form of Deduction: logic that uses a commonplace to reach a conclusion, interpreting the circumstances through a lens of beliefs and values, basically a more interesting use of syllogisms. An enthymeme is a logic technique that shortens deduction to where it just places a commonplace and a conclusion together: All musicians love music. I love music. In this enthymeme, it is pretty obvious that I am a musician without actually stating it. Another would be: All girls like One Direction. I like One Direction. It is then correctly assumed that I am a girl. Of course, not always are enthymemes going to be factual. The enthymeme that goes: “Babes go for Priapic owners. You should buy a Priapic,” basically states very matter-of-factly that women, all women, go for men who have said car. But some women don’t even know that car exists. Some women might even be terrorized by a Priapic because it was their young-self’s transportation to ballet practice where they would get bullied because of her very epileptic-shock-like dance moves. The advertisers didn’t have those women in mind. Obviously.

            Induction works in quite the opposite way, using argument by example. If I want to make sure my audience knows that I like One Direction, I would first make it a point to state how I have all of their CDs. With that example, they could deduct that I like said band. I own a guitar and I usually play drums, piano, and base in jazz bars. From that, then, you can deduct that I am a musician. Fact, Comparison, and Story are also useful. I want to convince my friend to go to the library instead of the Norah Jones concert. I would say:

            Fact: You always tell me you love to read and drink coffee on Saturdays.

            If that doesn’t work out:

            Comparison: Do you think they let you drink coffee in the music room?

            If not:

            Story: You know that two weeks ago a man felt so suffocated and claustrophobic in the small-roomed concert that he died due to lack of oxygen?

            A Norah Jones concert would actually be a tough choice, although I think I’d decidedly choose the concert. I love the library and all, but some things just stand out more in life. Like soothing voices that caress my flesh like flowery soap. Either way, just knowing I could convince someone to do such a thing, such as pick a bookstore over a Norah Jones concert, is amazing. If I could actually get it to work, I mean.

           

2 comments:

  1. Isa, the fact that you used One Direction (cultural phenomena, duh) in your blog is hilarious. I, myself actually love them but see no problem with you using them as an example since it actually works. The fact that you're actually able to mix a boy band with enthylmeme's is funny since both of them never mix together. xx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what that One Direction is, but I agree with Isa about its ingenuity. I do know who Norah Jones is however.

    Modern life is filled with rhetoric. It's everywhere!

    I like your approach here. Keep up the variety.

    ReplyDelete