Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Remember Prohibition?


            Every time I tell someone I am from Colombia, they automatically think about the artistic existence of the snow of cocaine and the grassy life of marijuana. Poetic, no?

            Really, though. And you wonder as to how I know this? I would like to account my inside knowledge to my mental capabilities as a mind reader and how costly and exhausting it is to be such a gifted human being. Sadly, my knowing this is because people say it out right.

            “ Do you have weed?”

            “Oh, right. Cocaine.”

            And of course you get the occasional bright Cheshire cat smiles that glint in their high glory, while saying, “I love your cocaine.” This one guy actually said that to a friend of mine once.

            I kid you not.

            So we have that reputation. That does not necessarily mean we are all a bunch of coked-up addicts that survive off dust incarcerating our veins. Paternostro quotes her friends boyfriend, Roman, saying, “Look around you. You see a bottle of alcohol and a pack of Malboros at every table, don’t you? Well, soon you will see another package. Soon you will be able to buy a package of joints like you buy tobacco. Marijuana will become so common that it’s going to be like buying beer at the supermarket. Remember Prohibition? And how many fortunes turned legal overnight when it ended? It’s going to be the same for me. Tobacco companies will be buying marijuana from my fields.”

            Oh, Roman, all drenched in aspirations of what never came true. Because while we may produced said hallucinogen entities, we do not consume them. Okay, some of us do. But in comparison to other countries, it’s pretty much nonexistent.

            But I’m just being bitter.

            Also, I can’t help but feel a tinge of sadness for Roman. Or pity? Although at the same time it borders on disbelief because his cause is one so vile, and yet vile enough to make me wonder why he is in it in the first place. Also, the logos plaguing his statement seems to be matter-of-fact and yet there’s hope in when he talks of what will happen in the future.

            But he can’t foresee the future.

            Obviously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment